New Goal Horn Section Now Open!

5:11:00 PM
As a hockey fan, we all notice the goal horns at games. They can accompany the greatest excitement for a hockey fan, or the greatest disappointment if you are rooting for the away team. Every NHL arena has one... or do they??? I have spent the last couple years compiling bits and pieces about as many horns as possible. You would think I would have much more info than this on them over that amount of time, but it turns out that many teams and arenas are not too eager to give out too much information about their game entertainment center piece. Most teams responded to me with at least a little information. To those teams I am very thankful! There are a few teams that failed to respond to any of my emails, and I must say that I was quite surprised and disappointed at their public relations practices.  Now we have a new section devoted to goal horns and we have some new information and photos!

First of all here are a few fun facts about goal horns:

• Chicago was the first team to use a goal horn back in the 70's.
  • In 1996, the NHL responded to the use of goal horns with a new set of rules regarding horns and music and when and how loud they could be played.
  • Two NHL teams currently use a recording of a goal horn rather than using a real horn. One of those teams will be discussed in part 1, the other in part 2.
  • Most of the leagues goal horns live up in the rafters, many of them out of sight.
  • Several teams have horns that were originally on a vessel.
  • In most cases, goal horns are NOT triggered by the controls that run the scoreboard. They are in no way tied into that system.
  • Many teams that relocate to a new arena will bring their old goal horn along with them.
Ok, enough with that! Time to check out our new goal horn section! CLICK HERE

Also you can access the new section from the homepage by selecting Features, and then clicking on NHL Goal Horns.

Related Posts

Next Post »

40 comments

Write comments
March 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM delete

No comments? Let me change that! Excellent job, this has made me curious and it is a compelling subject. Thanks for the good read!

March 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM delete

Thank you! Your feedback is appreciated! Be sure to check out Part 2 if you haven't already!

March 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM delete

Thanks for putting this together! I love goal horns

May 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM delete

It's funny what Google will dig up lol. I've always wondered about this and as I'm watching the playoffs I realized I don't like the sound of some horns. As a Blackhawks fan I knew we were the originators and always loved the sound of our horn. I think Dallas has a similar sounding horn. Some horns sound so crappy in my opinion. And Boston? What's with the recorded horn? How lame!

May 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM delete

Yes, I too was disappointed in Boston and New York Rangers for not having real horns!

May 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM delete

ok.... for part 1 worst horn without a doubt is the ducks. It literally sounds like a duck thats getting run over by a truck. I'll have to run through Part 2 again but it's probably the worst in the league. Colorado is a close second.

Best horn.....the Hawks of course ;) there's just something about its tone I think it has the best sound.... not to mention its right in broad daylight where it can be seen. Why does everybody hide them up in the catwalk??? They're awesome! Dallas, Florida, Edmonton, and Detroit all sound good too.

June 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM delete

The TD Garden Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD_Garden) claims that the Bruins do at least use a legit vintage end-of-period siren.

Small consolation, I know, but it's something. They should still get a real horn though.

August 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM delete

I went on the Kahlenberg website and i think i found what type the Blackhawks goal horn is. I think its the Q3-483-2 air alarm. Try listening to it!

October 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM delete

Ducks' horn is a Ibuki 200 fog horn.

October 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM delete

here a good recording of habs horn...

be
November 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM delete

The goal horns across the league are terrible and a bad idea. I'd prefer to hear the fans instead. Enough of this manufactured nonsense.

January 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM delete

Hello To the authors. I am going to a ducks game tonight. If i can get a picture of the horn would you like me to send it your way?

DTC
January 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM delete

YES!!! That would be awesome and I will make sure you get full credit for the photo!

I really figured it might be hidden to the point where you couldnt see it from the seats. Good luck and enjoy the game!

PS the email you can send it is frozenfaceoff57@gmail.com

DTC
January 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM delete

Pmoritz, did you have any luck last night at the Ducks game?

February 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM delete

The Islander guy might have given you inaccurate information, although it is possible that Kahlenberg did custom tune a T2 for Islander use. However, if you look at the Kahlenberg Website, compare the T2 to the T3A. The T3A is dead on, the exact frequencys of the Islanders goal horn. The T2 is not. Gotta love the Kahlenberg website providing audio clips of many of their horns.

February 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM delete

Canucks posted a short behind the scenes video about their goal horn:

March 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM delete

This site is great, exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, I can't hear any of the horns - it just doesn't work. The graphics work, but no sound. I'm using a Mac, and I the sound is working. Oh well!

DTC
March 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM delete

Might go to soundcloud.com and check out the help section. There might be something that helps you with Mac troubleshooting. Sounds seem to work on my PC, iPhone and iPad. Perhaps your browser settings are blocking them from playing for some reason.

April 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM delete

April 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM delete

Sadly no i did not. I looked from all angles of the stadium and the horn must be set way back in the rafters. there is a huge overhang that is over section 418 (where the horn lives) and you can't see that thing from any angle of the stadium. I wish i knew some people that could get me up there so I could get a picture for you and send it your way. I might have a new article for you though. It sounded like the flyers were having some major horn issues tonight during their game against the rangers. maybe we should send the flyers horn a get well soon card :/

May 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM delete

I think Columbus has a Kahlenberg S-203C horn, too. Look at a highlight video and it sounds more like that. You could try to update the sound clip with it too. Good job putting this together, by the way.

May 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM delete

You say minny's and chicago's horn types are the same? Q3?

May 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM delete

Im certain its also a khahlenberg f3 but they tuned it to have a much louder G#. Still, I think the f3 has five chimes but I only see four under the chicago scoreboard?!

June 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM delete

Hey Frozen Faceoff! If Hockey fans want to turn their car into the Saddledome check have them check out this link! https://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=shocker-228vx-train-horn-kit
It is the same horn that the flames have in their barn (as you stated in your short synopsis). I will be turning my 2008 Honda Fit into the SaddleDome when I get a few more bucks!

June 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM delete

Hey frozen faceoff I found the Sharks horn its ON the catwalk in between section 207 and 208

June 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM delete

Here's the photo:

DTC
June 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM delete

WOW, what a find! Thank you. I am working on a new goal horns section and I will be sure to get that up. This is awesome!

June 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM delete

Frozen Faceoff me again with a possible finding of the Capitals horn.

NOTE: Look above the Georgetown NCAA championship banner I think I see two horns of the Kahlenberg F3

Here's the photo:

June 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM delete

***UPDATE*** Dallas Stars goal horn found and it's a bronze color.

NOTE: YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CENTER OF THE PHOTO (ZOOMED IN)

Here's the photo:

DTC
June 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM delete

Wow, you are on a roll! Incredible work! Ive added this to the things to add to the new goal horn page.

July 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM delete

Frozen Faceoff, the Columbus Blue Jackets goal horn is probably a fog horn, but I'm not so sure yet

November 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM delete

I found the New York Islanders goal horn. It is above the right blue line closest to the north goal. I sent you a picture.

February 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM delete

I have a suggestion for a new goal horn section can you do ECHL horns

March 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM delete

I have a bad feeling that it's extremely difficult for me to contact all 30 NHL team organizations especially for all 30 goal horns of course because I don't know how it works but so far I don't think that contacting all 30 NHL team organizations wouldn't work out for me at all because it's extremely difficult

April 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM delete

I don't know how to contact all 30 NHL hockey teams because I need the user name the password the phone number the social security number and the email address as well but at least that's everything for me so far but i'm afraid that one of owners who work in all 30 NHL hockey stadiums would not respond to me when I contact them if not they might say who is this or who's contacting us or hello is somebody talking to us

April 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM delete

Is there in easier way for me to contact all 30 NHL hockey teams or is it really a very hard way for me to contact all 30 NHL hockey teams

April 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM delete

I have a bad feeling that the Boston Bruins organization and the New York Rangers organization doesn't have enough money to order a real air horn or goal horn so the workers can install it inside the stadium but there's no photo of the Boston Bruins goal horn the New York Rangers goal horn the Tampa Bay Lightning goal horn and the Toronto Maple Leafs goal horn

April 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM delete

Since all 30 NHL hockey teams stadium names have been deleted on Frozen Faceoff.Net but the Colorado Avalanche stadium name wasn't deleted but so far can you delete the word Pepsi Center because I don't think it should be next to the team the Colorado Avalanche right now I'm thinking that all 30 NHL hockey teams stadium names should be deleted on Frozen Faceoff.Net

April 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM delete

Compared to the cost of running an arena, the cost of a goal horn is like nothing. Unfortunately I don't think its top priority for the NYR or Bruins to get real goal horns but I do wish they would buy some...From Kahlenberg perhaps?s. http://www.kahlenberg.com/